Autumn and winter period is characterized by lower temperatures and a limited number of sunlight hours and thus our exposure to natural sunlight is much lower, and it is responsible for the natural production of vitamin D3 in our body! This can result in a significant deficiency of vitamin D3. In today's article, we will present how to counteract vitamin D3 deficiency.
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) functions?
A wide spectrum of action allows us to define vitamin D3 as "essential". It is obviously worth noting its effects on:
- modulation of the immune system - vitamin D3 improves immunity
- neuroprotective effect - vitamin D3 helps protect our brain from harmful factors
- proper calcium metabolism - vitamin D3 strengthens bones and teeth
- protective effect on the coronary system - vitamin D3 protects the heart
- increase testosterone production in men - vitamin D3 increases testosterone levels
- protective effect on cancer - vitamin D3 may be helpful in cancer therapies
How to check for vitamin D3 deficiency?
By taking a blood test to determine levels of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D or Calcifediol.
Normal vitamin D3 levels fall into 4 ranges.
- below 20 ng/ml or 50 nmol/l means that you have a severe vitamin D deficiency
- below 30 ng/ml or 75 nmol/l, there is still a vitamin D deficiency
- A range of 30-50 ng/ml or 75-125 nmol/l is the optimal level for humans
- above 50 ng/ml or 125 nmol/l, we can speak about theoretical vitamin d overdose
How to supplement vitamin D3 level?
A diet is rich in products containing vitamin D3.
In our daily menu we can successfully include products containing a high amount of vitamin D. Food products containing large amounts of vitamin D3 are:
- fatty sea fish: salmon, cod, mackerel, or swordfish
- fish oils (e.g. cod liver oil)
- pork or beef liver
- cow's milk
Exposure to sunlight.
It is worth noting here that sunlight consists of about 95% of UVA rays and about 5% of UVB rays. The latter are actually responsible for the production of cholecalciferol in our bodies. A UVB lamp can help in intensifying endogenous vitamin D synthesis in our body. Of course, the exposure must be long enough and the lamp of the right quality. Popular opinions say that a visit to a solarium stimulates the natural secretion of cholecalciferol. It actually depends. Solaria use two types of lamps, the first have parameters similar to sunlight (95-98:2-5 UVA to UVB ratio), while the second does not (>99:<1 UVA to UVB ratio). The first type so-called low pressure solar lamp actually can increase the ratio of vitamin D synthesis.
Vitamin D3 supplements.
The most convenient way of counteracting Vitamin D deficiency is supplementation. On the market, we can find a huge amount of supplements and drugs containing Vitamin D. The most recommended form of Vitamin D to look for in supplements is Vitamin D3. We can also find a Vitamin D2 form, yet its bioavailability is significantly lower than Vitamin D3 one.
The best supplement with vitamin D3 - which one to choose?
Apollo's Hegemony Vitamin D3 - where to buy?
Apollo’s Hegemony Vitamin D3 is a high-quality supplement, reviewed by independent laboratory testing to confirm the correctness of its composition. The producer avoided the usage of unnecessary fillers as well as no magnesium stearate! It is available in 3 variants: 2000IU, 5000IU, and 10 000IU of Vitamin D3 per capsule.